Finally got my first Valkyrie kit a couple of weeks ago to start to get the last few points of my 1500 point list done.
Built it over the following week n between moving bits of my house to storage and what a pig this kit is to build. Partly my fault for not reading the instructions properly and checking bits were going on the right side of the model but the tail section would not fit square no matter how much I tweaked, repositioned and faffed about with it. The next couple I build I hope will be better but who knows.
Its taken all that time to get it built and basic colours on it, then I thought I might have a go at paint chipping and kinda went a bit daft. I figured the Imperial Guard/Navy wouldn't take the time to repaint just repair and rearm so I spent about 4-5 hours weathering the edge of the plates. It needs decals, the cockpit painting and I need to get the forge world vendetta kit ordered, painted and fitted then based. I`ll be doing that once I get the other 2 put together and basic paint job on them so I can game with them. I'm playing a League game next Thursday so I have until then to get them done, I might even manage to get some bonus points for having them painted if I make/buy Marbo (what a guy) in time.
I decided to paint the cockpit , I didn't want the glass showing through so I thought some groovy one way glass was the best option (and I didn't have to paint the crew inside which I`ll use on another project I have in mind. A good site to look at is Cammo Specs, I just hope the technique scales up to 28mm.
The basic paint is a mix of 3-1 Chaos Black and Dark Angels Green which I washed with 50/50 water and Badab Black then painted neat Badab Black into the lines between the plates. The paint dried a little bit inconsistent and looks almost a really greenish/blue in some places which adds further to the weathering look. After that the simple, but lengthy job of attacking the raised edges with a thin Bolt Gun Metal/water mix, I think Ill use a thinner brush on the next Valk.